How To Change Your AirDrop Name On iPhone, Mac, & iPod.
If you don’t like the default name that appears for your device when using AirDrop, you might be wondering how to change the AirDrop name. Thanks to Apple for the simplicity of the procedure, you can quickly and easily change the AirDrop name on all your Apple devices.
You can change the name on your iPhone, Mac and iPod. Once you do, your new name will be displayed when you or someone tries to send you a file using AirDrop.
How to change AirDrop name on iPhone
Changing AirDrop name on iPhone basically means changing the name of your iPhone. You can do this in two ways, as shown below. However, we recommend that you use the former and use the latter only if the former does not work.
Change the AirDrop name in settings
You will change your iPhone’s name, and this will be reflected not only in AirDrop, but in all other places where your iPhone’s name appears.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- On the next screen, scroll down and find the General option. Click on it when you see it.
- Click on the “About” option on the next screen.
- You will now see detailed information about your iPhone, including its name. At the very top of the screen, there is a shortcut that says “Name” followed by the current name of your device. Click on it to edit.
- On the next screen, you must change the name of your iPhone. Click on the current name to edit it and start typing a new name. When you’re done, tap Done on the onscreen keyboard.
- Go back one screen and you will see your new name displayed on the About screen.
Change AirDrop Name in Contacts
Another way to change the iPhone’s name is to use the Contacts app on your device. If you’ve ever noticed, Contacts has your contact card with your name on it. Your device will recognize it as your device name, and if you change it, it will also change your AirDrop name.
If you don’t have a contact card yet, you need to create one first. This can be done from the Contacts application on your device.
- Launch the Contacts app on your iPhone.
- Click on your business card, which appears at the top of your contact list. It should say “My Card” under your name.
- On the next screen, you will see the contact information for your card. What you want to do is edit the card to change your name. Click “Edit” in the upper right corner to do this.
- You can now edit your name. Change it to whatever you want your iPhone to display in AirDrop, then tap Done in the top right corner.
- The new name you entered in the card will now appear as your AirDrop name.
How to change AirDrop name on Mac
Apple Macs are also equipped with AirDrop, which helps transfer files between devices. Changing AirDrop name on Mac is also pretty easy and you can do it in two ways.
Use settings to change AirDrop name
If you want a simple and easy way to change your Mac’s name, stick with this method as it helps you complete the task from your computer’s traditional preferences menu.
- Click the Apple Logo icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences.
- On the next screen, find the Share option and click to open it.
- You will see the current name of your Mac next to “Computer Name”. This is the name that is used throughout to identify your machine.
To change it, click on an existing name and you can enter a new name. Delete the existing name, enter a new one and press Enter.
- The change will reflect fairly quickly, and all your other AirDrop-enabled devices will now display this newly selected name for your Mac.
Use terminal to change AirDrop name
For most users, using the System Preferences panel to change the AirDrop name is the simple and preferred method. However, if you’re used to running commands on your Mac, or want the script to be able to change the AirDrop name, you can use the Terminal app to complete the task.
There is a command that allows you to change the name of your Mac in the Terminal application.
- Click on the launcher, find “Terminal” and open it.
- Type the following command and press Enter. Be sure to replace NEWNAME with the new name you want to install for your Mac.
sudo scutil –set ComputerName NEWNAME
- Since this is a sudo command, you will be prompted for an administrator password. Enter your password and continue.
- There will be no confirmation or similar, but your name should be changed. You can actually check it out by going to System Preferences and clicking Share. Your new Mac name should be displayed there.
How to change AirDrop name on iPod
If you use an iPod and share files between devices via AirDrop, you can also change the AirDrop name on your iPod. Unlike other methods, you will need to connect your iPod to your computer in order to change the name. You cannot change the name without a computer.
You will also need the iTunes application installed on your computer. New macOS users can use the Finder to complete this task.
- Connect your iPod to your computer with a cable.
- If you are using a Mac, run the finder. If you are a Windows user, open the iTunes app.
- Click your device icon to display the related options.
- You will see your iPod’s name at the top – left corner. Click here and you can enter a new name. Enter a name and press Enter.
- iTunes or Finder will sync with your iPod, and then your iPod will have your newly selected name.
We hope this guide helped you change the AirDrop name to your liking. By the way, what name did you choose? We’d love to know and let us know in the comments below.