How To Watch Netflix With Friends.
For many people, the new social distancing protocols have not only destabilized their work life, but their social life as well. Spending time with family, friends or colleagues is no longer the same, at least not without limits.
However, just because you cannot meet your loved ones in person does not mean that you still cannot communicate.
There are many things you can do online, such as hosting a Zoom meeting, playing online games, or group FaceTime. And if you skip going to the movies, you can watch Netflix with your friends online.
How to use Netflix Party to watch Netflix with friends
One of the best ways to watch movies on Netflix with friends is by using the Netflix Party.
The Netflix Party Extension is a free extension for the Google Chrome browser that allows you to watch Netflix remotely with others. You can play, pause, or pause the same shows or movies as your family and friends on Netflix so you can watch them at the same time.
The extension offers a creative way to enjoy movie nights and parties with loved ones.
The extension helps alleviate the lack of communication associated with the coronavirus pandemic. It’s easy to install and use right away to sync your movie watching with your friends.
Netflix Party allows you to chat with your friends during your browsing session, download emoticons, screenshots and insert GIFs for more fun. You can also watch the video in full screen, synchronize the video playback, and anyone in the session can play, pause, pause, or scroll the timeline.
The main disadvantage of Netflix Party is that you have to create a new session every time you want to watch a different movie or several episodes of a show. Netflix will start the streak automatically, but you will need to send a new link to each of your friends in order to create a new session.
- First, install the Netflix Party extension from the Chrome Web Store.
How to use Netflix Party to watch Netflix with friends
- Then click “Add to Chrome” to complete the installation.
- Click Add Extension.
- When the installation is complete, check for a gray NP button next to the address bar in your browser. If the NP button is missing, click the puzzle icon next to the address bar and then pin the NP button to the browser toolbar.
- Then go to the Netflix website, sign in and select the movie or TV show you want to watch with your friends.
- Click the red NP icon and then click Start Party to start your watching. At this point, you will be the host of the party, so you can choose if you want to be the supervisor or let someone in the group do it.
- Copy and share the party URL to invite friends to watch a Netflix show or movie with you. For this to work, each of your friends must have a Netflix account or access to Netflix. If they don’t have a Netflix account, they can create one or you can share your account with up to four other people depending on your subscription.
- You will see the chat room on the right side of the screen, and whenever someone you invite joins the party, you will see their names there. When the movie or show ends and you close the Netflix Party player, the chat will disappear along with the chat history.
Note. If you want to join a group, click the party URL you got from a friend. You will be redirected to the Netflix website, but you will need to press the NP button to automatically join the group.
Other third-party apps to watch Netflix with friends online
Watch2Gether is a popular app for watching YouTube videos with friends. Although the Watch2Gether player is not compatible with Netflix, you can use the W2gSync function to watch Netflix shows with friends. Create a room, download the Watch2Gether browser extension, paste the Netflix URL into your private room window and start watching.
Cast can also help you watch Netflix with your friends. The software allows you – the host – to stream through a proxy on a web portal, and your friends can watch the show with you in the same room. It’s free to download and use, but the premium version offers improved video quality, ad-free viewing, more emojis and more reactions.
TwoSeven is one of the few apps you can use to watch Netflix with friends and watch their webcams while watching videos. You can use the free version of the app or additional paid plans to watch Netflix and Disney + with friends.
You can also watch Netflix with your friends online using Scener and use chat to discuss the movie you are watching.
However, Scener only works with the main Netflix profile, which means that if you share your account with friends, you need to select your profile to set up Watch Party. In addition, Scener allows up to 10 people to watch a movie at the same time in a room, and only the presenter can pause or resume playback.
Metastream is another streaming app that works like Netflix Party, except you use a private code to invite your friends to a party.
The browser extension is free and available in Chrome and Firefox. Metastream also has live chat and you can queue videos for continuous viewing.
So far, Netflix Party is the best extension you can use to watch Netflix with your friends online. Netflix has a strict third party app policy, which means you won’t find other options as safe and reliable as Netflix Party.
Watch Netflix remotely with friends
Not sure what to watch on Netflix? Check out our list of Netflix movies and shows you can watch without a guess. If you prefer to play games remotely with friends, check out the top 5 sites to play Scrabble online with friends or 10 two player games to play online.
Did you manage to start a Netflix Watching Party with your friends via Netflix Party or Rabbit? Share with us in the comments.