How to use Android image in image mode.
Android Picture-in-Picture (PiP) mode is a special feature that allows you to view your video in a small overlay window in the corner of your screen as you navigate from app to app. This way, you can watch Netflix for a long time or search for something on Google while casually chatting with a friend in another app.
We will explain how Android picture works in picture mode and how to use it on your smartphone or tablet.
How Picture in Picture Works
PiP is a handy feature that comes in handy when you start watching videos in a compatible app and want to multitask.
When you press the Home button on your phone, the video is reduced to thumbnails that remain pinned to the screen. Thus, you can continue watching the video using other apps with the PiP function enabled.
Plus, you can zoom in or out and adjust different sizes depending on what you’re doing on your phone.
If a window gets in the way, you can drag it to different parts of the screen to pin the thumbnail and continue playing on top of other applications. The audio will still play and you can use the tab to pull the window out again.
Android’s picture-in-picture mode is not compatible with all applications, but you can check the application developer’s site to see if the program supports this feature. Some of the apps that support PiP mode include Google Chrome, YouTube Premium, Google Maps, YouTube TV, Netflix, Google Movies & TV, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp (video chats), Google Duo, VLC, Hulu, and Pocket Casts (video podcasts) …
How to Use Android Picture in Picture Mode
Before using Android PiP mode, make sure all your Android apps are up to date and then follow these steps to enable picture in picture mode.
Note. If your device is running Android Oreo (8.0) and later, PiP mode is enabled by default.
- Select the application for which you want to enable PiP (in older Android versions, select Advanced).
- Click to toggle the Allow Resolution option to enable PiP.
How to run Android Picture in Picture on different apps
Depending on the app, you can launch picture-in-picture mode on your Android device by playing the video and pressing the Home button.
How to use PiP mode in Google Chrome browser
If you are using the Google Chrome browser, go to the website that contains the video you want to watch.
- Open the video and set it to full screen mode.
Note. This also works for YouTube videos you watch in Chrome.
- Select Play and then press the Home button to start the video in PiP mode.
- Drag the video around the phone screen and pin it where you want so you can use other applications while watching the video.
- To close the video, drag the thumbnail thumbnail down to the bottom of the screen to close it.
How to use YouTube PiP mode
For YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red), launch the video and then press the Home button to launch the picture-in-picture mode.
YouTube Premium users also set the default background playback for the YouTube app instead of PiP. Thus, you can watch videos while the screen is off or while using other applications.
- To enable background playback in YouTube Premium, open Settings, go to Backgrounds & Downloads.
- Select background playback.
- You will see three options to choose from:
Note. You can watch videos in the free YouTube app in thumbnail mode while multitasking with popup or split screen mode.
To use pop-up or split-screen in the free YouTube app, switch to the recently opened apps view. Find YouTube, click on the app icon, and select “Open in Popup” or “Open in Split Screen.”
The difference between PiP mode and pop-up or split-screen mode is that the latter does not dock with your screen. This means that if you close all applications in use, thumbnail view will close and you will have to open it again to continue browsing.
How to use Facebook PiP mode
If you are using the Facebook app, you can watch PiP videos on your phone while using other apps at the same time.
How to use PiP mode in VLC
You can also enable PiP in VLC in the app settings.
Alternatively, you can use the popup player to enter PiP mode in VLC.
How to use PiP mode during a WhatsApp video call
You can also use Android Picture-in-Picture while chatting with friends during a WhatsApp video call.
How to Disable Android Picture in Picture Mode for Android Apps
Work and Play on Your Android Device
If you multitask on your Android device going from one app to the next, you’ll find Android’s Picture-in-Picture (PiP) mode very handy.
Did you manage to enter Picture-in-Picture mode on your Android device? Share with us in the comments.
- Always On: Your videos will always play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Your videos will only play in the background when you connect an external audio output to your phone.
- Disabled: Your videos will not play in the background.
- To do this, open the video you want to watch on Facebook and click the small square in the upper left corner of the video to minimize the window.
- Your video will be reduced in size so you can move it to any of the four corners of the screen.
- To do this, click “More” (three dots) in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Then click Settings in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Under Video, click Background / PiP Mode.
- Select Play video in Picture-in-Picture.
- To do this, start and play the desired video and select “More”.
- Then click Popup Player and the video is reduced to thumbnails.
- Press the Home button on your phone to watch a video while performing multiple tasks.
- To do this, start or join a video call, and then press the Home button. The video will open on the home screen in PiP mode.
- To disable PiP, go to Settings> Applications.
- Click on the three dots to open the Applications menu and select “Special Access”.
- Select Picture-in-Picture.
- Then select the application for which you want to disable PiP and tap the switch to disable it.
How to use Android image in image mode
How to use Android image in image mode