How to enable or disable two-factor authentication on social media.
The days when all you needed to protect your network was a password are gone. Today, a strong password won’t stop anyone. If you want to stay on top of your security, you need to start using a reliable VPN service, password manager, Tor browser, and more. Sometimes it seems easier to ditch the internet and social media altogether. If it were possible.
One of the most effective ways to protect your online accounts is to enable two-factor authentication on all of them. Learn how to turn two-factor authentication on and off and how it can help protect your social media accounts.
What’s Two-Factor Authentication?
If you have at least one social media account that you use on a daily basis, you need to think about your online safety ahead of time. One preventative measure you can take is to choose a strong password for your account, or use a password manager if you have multiple accounts. However, this is often not enough to stop hackers.
To avoid recovering your compromised Facebook or Instagram account later, add an extra layer of security with two-factor authentication (2FA). Choosing to enable two-factor authentication for all of your online accounts will greatly enhance your security and give you peace of mind.
How Two-Factor Authentication Works
Two-factor authentication, also known as two-factor authentication and multi-factor authentication, is a security measure for your accounts that you can use on top of your login information to help protect yourself online.
Instead of one step of verifying your identity (using your username and password), you get a second step, in which, after entering your password to log in, you also need to enter the code that you will receive on your phone. The code is always unique and generated through the application. Two-factor authentication complicates the verification process, but ensures that only you can access your online account.
What if I can’t get the security code?
Some users don’t want to enable two-factor authentication because once you enable it, you won’t be able to sign in to your account without a code sent to your phone. So what happens if you lose your phone or lose access to it? One solution is to temporarily disable 2FA on your account (s) until you regain access to your phone. Although there is a better way out of this situation.
By enabling two-factor authentication on your online account, you will be able to access a page with recovery codes. You can use these codes to log into your account if you lose your phone or cannot get the code through the authentication app. Be sure to save these codes and keep them in a safe place.
Two-Factor Authentication on LinkedIn
On LinkedIn, you can set up two-factor authentication in your account settings.
You can do this in both your browser and mobile app by following these steps.
- Open LinkedIn and go to the Settings & Privacy section of your account (or Settings in the mobile app).
- From the menu, select Login & Security.
- Scroll down to find “Two-Step Verification” and select “Enable” (or “Configure in Mobile”) to activate it.
You will then have a choice: use your phone number or an authenticator app to get the code. Pick one and click Continue. Then enter your password and confirm your choice.
If you choose your phone number, you will receive a 6-digit LinkedIn security code via SMS.
If you choose the Authenticator app option, you need to install Microsoft Authenticator (or another authentication app of your choice), then add your LinkedIn account to it and use the app to scan a QR code or manually enter a secret key. Use the 6 digit code to complete the process.
You can change the method, or completely disable two-factor authentication at any time by following the same path and choosing Disable in Settings instead.
Two-Factor Authentication on Instagram
On Instagram, you can also use both the web and mobile versions of the app to set up two-factor verification. However, in your web browser, you can only use the 2FA method for the phone number.
While this may seem convenient since you usually have your phone with you, it is not the best way to protect yourself and should not be your first choice. For example, you won’t be able to receive SMS if you don’t have a cellular connection, so you won’t get a code and access to your account.
In your mobile application, you can choose one of two two-factor authentication methods: receive a code via SMS or through an authenticator application. To set up two-factor authentication on Instagram, follow these steps.
- Open Instagram and go to your profile page.
- Open the Settings menu and select Security.
- Under Login Security, select Two-Factor Authentication.
- Select the security method, authentication application or text message. Then follow the instructions on the screen to obtain the security code.
After confirming the code with your preferred two-factor authentication method, Instagram will enable two-factor authentication.
To disable two-factor authentication on Instagram, follow the path above to find two-factor authentication in your app settings, and then select the method you previously selected to disable it.
Two-Factor Authentication on Twitter
On Twitter, you can find the option to set up two-factor authentication in your account settings. To access them, follow these steps.
- Go to the Twitter menu and select Settings & Privacy.
- Under Settings, select Security & Account Access> Security> Two-Factor Authentication.
- Select your preferred two-factor authentication method: receive a security code via text message, using an authentication application, or a security key. On Twitter, you can add more than one two-factor authentication method. You will need to enter your password to confirm each one.
You can turn off two-factor authentication on Twitter at any time by following the same path to find two-factor authentication in the app settings. Then select Disable to disable it.
Two-Factor Authentication on Facebook
To enable two-factor authentication on Facebook, follow these steps.
- From the application menu, select Settings & Privacy> Preferences.
- From the Settings menu on the left, select Security and log in.
- Scroll down to find “Two-Factor Authentication” and select “Edit” next to “Use Two-Factor Authentication”.
- Choose one of the security methods: an authentication app such as Google Authenticator, or a text message. Enter the received security code to complete the two-factor authentication setup.
To turn off Facebook two-factor authentication, follow the same path in the app’s settings menu until you find the Two-factor authentication section. Then select “Change” and re-enter your password. In the next window, you will be able to disable two-factor authentication and also add a backup security method in the form of a security key or recovery codes.
Secure Your Online Accounts Now
Being locked out of your social media account is annoying, and recovering from a hack is even worse. Enabling two-factor authentication can help you avoid this by adding another layer of security to your online accounts.
Is two-factor authentication enabled or disabled on your social media accounts? What security measures do you find most effective against hackers? Share your experience with online security in the comments below.
How to enable or disable two-factor authentication on social media
- Here Are 9 Ways To Enable Or Disable Two-factor Authentication Better
- Here Are 9 Ways To Enable Or Disable Two-factor Authentication Faster
- How to enable or disable two-factor authentication on social media